Wednesday, March 21, 2012

GWAR, Municipal Waste, Ghoul, & Legacy of Disorder at the Wilbur Theatre in Boston, MA

Okay so due to being in a ridiculous hurry, I didn't take any pictures of my make up for the night. It would have been washed away anyway so no big deal!

On with the review!

This was my first trip to the Wilbur Theatre and although it's been my smallest venue to date, it made for a wonderfully intimate show. I'm also glad I got my tickets early as the show completely sold out.

Legacy of Disorder - Apparently these guys are from New Zealand, pretty cool! They were a magnificent opening act and really got the crowd going. It isn't every day that I'm this impressed by some random band no one's ever heard of.

Ghoul - I had seen them once before, back in October, so I knew to expect GWAR Jr. Not that it's a bad thing, no, far from it! I love these guys, they make you wanna fuck shit up. Also, their bassist is hilarious.

Municipal Waste - I had no idea what to expect as I had never heard any of their music and I have to say, MW did not disappoint. I thought I couldn't love RVA more than I already do and it just keeps shoving great music down my throat. I would gladly see them again.

And last but not least, our lords and masters, GWAR! This was my seventh time seeing the RVA legends and I wasn't really sure what to expect with the passing of Cory Smoot aka Flattus Maximus but they just keep getting better and better. The set list included a great mix of tracks some newer albums and old favorites - Salaminizer, anyone? Actually, we all pretty much lost our shit as soon as that riff hit. However, the most power part of the show took place during the encore when every last soul in the building joined Dave Brockie in belting out The Road Behind in honor of our fallen Scumdog. It was not uncommon to see bohabs around you with tears in their eyes and I'm not ashamed to say that I was one of them.

All in all, this was one of the best shows I have ever been to. Everything was perfect, from the sound system, to the fans, to the set lists. I don't have a single complaint, even our parking was only $10 which is completely unheard of in Boston.

Now to look forward to April when I catch them all over again in Hampton, NH with Kylesa replacing Municipal Waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment